11.29.2010

Iorek Byrnison

I decided that I needed to do some Golden Compass art, because I love the 'His Dark Materials' series.
I also wanted to start playing around with scenery and atmosphere with my art, so thought I would try and work that into this piece too.

The original concept behind the scene was based around Iorek, right after he eats Lee in The Amber Spyglass (sorry if i ruined that for anyone....OH WELL). I didnt want to add any blood or even Lee's body, just because it was such a melancholy moment, and i thought that those elements might distract. Instead, I tried my best just to suggest a sad mood along with the scribbles in the background which could perhaps represent where Lee had died. I was also going to add witches in the sky flying around, but it would have ended up feeling like too much. I definitely want to try working with environments in my next few pieces and see where it takes me...

Done in grahite, charcoal and chalk on Stonehenge 15" x 20"
oh and if anyone might have been curious, this was completed in a week.






13 comments:

  1. I love that you post the in progress shots, and especially that you post them in reverse order. It gives it this feeling of breaking it down piece by piece until we see the beginning, as opposed to building it up - which can make it feel like the in-progress shots could go anywhere.

    Your style is really inspiring. I don't see a lot of traditional mixed with digital quite like how you've done it. It mixes the old with the new in a way that brings the best out in both mediums. I really like it. :)

    How long did you spend on the traditional part of this piece?

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, I love the book! This is one of the part that I think is disturbingly beautiful and raw. To be one with a friend and to be literally tasting the union is quite, well, raw.

    Love this piece. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, you're getting better and better ! It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks a lot guys :]

    @smyrniotis -I usually spent about 6 days on the traditional and then one (or two if it's really frustrating like this one) on the digital color.

    @rope -Thanks dude. sometimes im not sure of that myself, haha, but i really appreciate the encouragement

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is so awesome. Always enjoy seeing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you get the scan to come in so clearly? Do you use a scanner or take a photo? If the latter, why type of camera? I've had a shit time taking pictures of work that's too big to scan. :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I scan it in tiles and then merge it in photoshop. I think this one took me 4 scans on my 9 x 12 scanner

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've done that before. It just never seems to be merge perfectly. Half of it lines up but the other half won't. @_@

    ReplyDelete
  9. did you try doing the auto-merge? that usually doesnt ever work for me so i tend merge it all manually

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I just saw your piece right now. I'm using the medium graphite powder on my works, but I didn't know what other mediums I could use without smearing my work.

    So I saw that you used chalk and charcoal. Can you give me some tips on using these mediums, other mediums please?

    ReplyDelete